Tuesday, June 7, 2011

No Such Thing as Coincidence

My husband is in Montana for 3 weeks - it's part of his training to become a Geologist. Perhaps that doesn't sound very exciting, but there is a huge GOD STORY behind it all and I'm absolutely thrilled for him. Praise You, Lord!!

In the meantime, I decided that while Mick is away, I would take some time to get my thought life in order. Strange, maybe.. it's not like I couldn't do that while he was home, right? True enough - but with such a break in our normal routine, I thought to myself: how can I make the most of this time apart?

Somehow there is never a shortage of things that God desires (indeed, requires) to be refined in me. I'm thankful that He doesn't overwhelm me with all of my flaws at once, but faithfully chips away - bit by bit - at what is useless in me, and leaves behind something that can shine; something that can be a display of His splendor (Is. 61:3). He is profoundly amazing like that.

I knew almost immediatly that my thought life is where I needed to be focused. "Coincidentally" (not), I picked up a book that I had put down a couple months ago, and lo and behold - right in the middle of the chapter where I'd stopped reading - was this: "In order to enjoy a healthy mind-set, we must, as Oswald Chambers stated, faithfully cultivate and maintain a redeemed thought life."

The chapter went on to discuss in detail our thought life and its impact on us, both positive and negative. Mind you, this isn't the subject matter of this book at all. I didn't expect this in any way when I picked up the book and began reading where I'd left off. And so I bawled like a baby. Why?

Because there's no such thing as coincidence.

Do you ever experience that? Times when God is just SO obvious and SO personal and He just blows you away with His love and grace and involvement in your life? I sure hope so! And if not, then pay closer attention! I am so thankful for those intimate moments; so thankful that He cares enough to remind me that His eye is always upon me; and His heart is always for me. He is my Daddy!!!

As I prepare for Cambodia, I am praying for many different things - not the least of which is that by the time our plane lifts off the ground in Indianapolis, that I will be prepared to minister to the women and girls on the other side of the planet - with a redeemed mind.

Have your way, Lord.

No comments: