Thursday, December 12, 2013

Emmanuel - breaking the silence

Between the closing words Malachi in the Old Testament: “See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes…”

And the opening words of Matthew in the New Testament: “This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham…”

…there are 400 years of silence when God ceases communication with his people, and then – Emmanuel; God with us.

But 400 years is a long, long time. Fear, uncertainty and hopelessness must have gripped the hearts of God’s people throughout that time. A spiritual drought set in.

There are times in my life when I’ve experienced a season of silence or spiritual drought. And as much as I longed to sense God’s presence with me, I felt nothing – well, nothing except a big dose of frustration, fear, and uncertainty. But it was during those times that I learned the true meaning of faith. Trusting what I cannot see or feel. I learned through these lonely times that God’s presence is not dependent on whether or not I feel him with me. He is with me because he says he is with me – period.

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. {Deut. 31:8}

As we go through the Christmas season, I am determined to exercise my faith. Exercise means "the act of bringing into play or realizing in action." As I give my attention to Emmanuel, I will bring my faith into play by intentionally seeing and hearing others who are struggling through a season of silence. Who can I help? To whom can I offer the hope I have found in Jesus? An act of kindness has the power to break the silence in someone’s life.

Lord, let my life speak volumes to someone who needs to encounter you today – Emmanuel.

No comments: