Thursday, June 20, 2013

Just love each other

Large, captivated crowds. People hanging on his every word – some in awe and some in anger. Rowdy children laughing, playing, complaining to mom they are bored or hungry or both. Hopeful parents pressing through the crowd desiring for this man to touch and bless their squirming child. Meanwhile the disgruntled followers of this up-and-coming leader are shooing the kids away in annoyance. But then…

Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children."

Are you doing what I find myself doing? Are you glazing over because you’ve heard this a thousand times? Well, don’t! Jesus just shared something of colossal significance. Take notice.

The Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are LIKE THESE CHILDREN. Uhhh…what are they like because I wanna belong!

Well, I could talk about how children naturally trust people and accept differences in others. Or that children are teachable and eager to learn – and they are amazingly quick to forgive. But one of the most endearing and fun attributes of a child to me is their tendency to take things literally.

Eliza is the precious 3-year-old daughter of my friend, Jamie. Eliza knows how to cut-to-the-chase and not spend precious time messing around with bothersome details. She listens to instructions – and does exactly what she is told. Take a look at her bunny maze.

It makes so much sense, doesn't it?! Eliza reminds me of a sweet lamb following her Shepherd. My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. (John 10)
Now if only I could do the same. If only I were so quick to follow the clear and literal instructions of my Shepherd instead of trying to cut corners or veer off in the wrong direction - leading to a dead end. For example, Jesus literally means it when he says:

Love each other. You must love each other as I have loved you. - John 13

When you talk, do not say harmful things, but say what people need—words that will help others become stronger. Then what you say will do good to those who listen to you. - Ephesians 4

Discipline your children while you still have the chance; indulging them destroys them. - Proverbs 19

Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. - Romans 12

This list could go on and on, right? But I prefer to keep things simple. And if I take it literally when my Shepherd says "love each other," the rest of the details will fall into place. As a child who belongs to his Kingdom, I'll keep striving to follow his clear and literal instructions. Love each other. Can't go wrong with that.

No comments: