Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hearing is not the same as believing

After a hard day at school, I held my sweet second-grader in my arms and told her how much she is loved; how precious and special she is to me - and to Jesus. You see, Lauren was heartbroken and in tears because her best friend told her she's no longer her friend at all. And a short while later, I was treated to this gem:
Lauren not only heard my words - she believed them. (And yes, she called me "Linda" - haha!) But she also went a step further. She made "this food" for me (it was chips and salsa). Her act of love was a natural response to what she heard and believed.

How often do you hear the words of Jesus, but not really believe them? Or how easy is it for you to believe that God's truth applies to someone else's life, but surely not your own circumstance or struggle? Hearing is not the same as believing, is it? And so I pray you hear and believe the words of Jesus today.

Jesus turned around, and when he saw her he said, "Daughter, be encouraged! Your faith has made you well." And the woman was healed at that moment. - Matthew 9:22

Have faith in him. His love and compassion will make you whole. He really, really is crazy about you. What will your response be? Do you believe him?

No comments: