Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Be still my heart - I am in Cambodia!

I've been in Cambodia for less than 48 hours and I've already experienced so much that it's hard to know what to say. I have a feeling I'll be processing the impact of this trip long after I'm back in good ol' Indiana.

Yesterday, we visited a local school. Over 400 children came walking out of classrooms to greet us - and it didn't take long for them to RUN to hug us and want to play with us. Most of our team was in a large circle with many, many children. But I had the joy of spending time in a SMALL circle of about 8 boys and girls.

A couple of the girls - Palip and Nemeth - spoke pretty good English and I asked them if they all could sing a song for me. They said, "Yes!" And Nemeth said to me, "Are you Chrees-tian? Chrees-tian?" And I said, "Yes! I'm a Christian." And she was so excited - and asked, "Jesus Loves Me?" So these sweet school children sang Jesus Loves Me with motions and all - and I got it on video!

Palip is also part of a community kids program that two CGI interns (Ashton and Clarissa) have had going this summer, so I got to see her in the afternoon as well. About 40 kids came to play games and we helped them make tie dye shirts (is that how you spell tie dye?).. anyway, the kids would come to each station we had set up and we would say, "Hello. What is your name?" And they would tell us in English, "My name is...". They are all incredibly sweet and enjoy practicing their English skills with us.

That is a very SMALL glimpse of what has happened since I've been here. Good thing I'm journaling (thanks, Paulette!) because I'm afraid I wouldn't remember half of what we've done. We stay VERY busy and today will be no exception, so I better get going.

A verse that has been in my mind since standing in my driveway with Mick on Monday morning at 4am, is this:

From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the LORD is to be praised.

It's night time in Indiana - the sun has set, but I am just starting my day here in Phnom Penh - the sun has risen. And I will be praising the Lord all through the day. I covet your prayers for me and my team.

No comments: